Bowenwork practitioners complete Modules 1-7 plus additional business and science courses in order to earn a Professional Bowenwork Practitioner-Level I certificate.
Overview of Modules 1-7
Every module includes demonstrations of each procedure, extensive supervised hands-on practice, and a review of previously taught procedures, along with the following:
- Detailed explanation of anatomical landmarks and location of moves.
- Explanation of client and practitioner positioning for comfort and safety.
- Discussion of indications and contraindications, appropriate draping, pre-session intake questions and post-session self-care advice.
- Manuals with detailed notes, photographs and anatomical diagrams.
- Written assessments and group discussions.
Prerequisites: The modules must be taken in sequence, following timing guidelines. In order to provide enough time for practice, take single modules no closer together than one per month. Or, if taking pairs of modules (e.g., 1&2, 3&4, 5&6), wait at least two months between each pair and the next.
Cost for Modules 1-6 – $430/modules (if paid 21 days prior to class date.)
Module 7 – $480 (if paid 21 days prior to class date.)
There is a $75 administrative fee collected on the first day of the Module 1 class. The fee covers the cost of adding and maintaining the student’s profile on our website; receiving digital copies of all training materials and handouts, monthly newsletters, and support from American Bowen Academy’s administrator. After the first year, there is a $40 annual fee collected on the anniversary of the student’s first Bowenwork class.
Module 1 Description
-The Bowenwork Move
-Lower Back Procedure
-Upper Back Procedure
-Working with a Client
Module 2 Description
-Shoulder Procedure (with an Assistant)
-Shoulder Procedure (without an Assistant)
Module 3 Description
Module 4 Description
-Ankle Procedure (with Strapping)
-Upper Respiratory/TMJ Procedure
-Procedures for Babies and Children
-Hammer Toe Procedures (with Strapping)
-Tom Bowen’s Home Remedies
Module 5 Description
-North Procedure (Shoulder)
-East Procedure (Shoulder)
-South Procedure (Shoulder)
-West Procedure (Shoulder)
-Gall Bladder Procedure
Module 6 Description
-5A & 7A Medially Procedure (Hamstrings)
-Recommendations to Assist Conception
Module 7 Description
Module 7 is a two-day testing module, administered by an assessing instructor.
We highly recommend that you attend a Review Class before taking Module 7.
Module 7 Prerequisites:
Completion of Module 6 at least one month earlier.
Completion of 10 case studies and 50 log hours documented.
Overview of Additional Required Classes
Additional training needed in order to earn a certificate can consist of classes taken through American Bowen Academy, can be transferred credits from previous learning, or a combination of both. The additional requirements are:
120 hours of Anatomy and Physiology
- Students who need an anatomy and physiology class to become a Professional Bowenwork Practitioner can attend an online class facilitated by Nancy Pierson. To enroll, click on Find a Class, and use the pull down menu to select Anatomy and Physiology for Bowenworkers. Click here for a class description.
- In addition, the Academy recommends that students who do not have a bodywork license also take the 60-hour Pathology class. Click on Find a Class and use the pull down menu to select Pathology. Click here for a class description.
Six hours of Workplace Hygiene, Health and Safety
20 hours of Business Skills
Eight hours of Ethics
Learn about our Continuing Education program.